2.26.2013

Baby Food 101: Where to start?

When I had Miss E, the thought of making my own baby food for her was kind of daunting. But in the end, I was staying at home, and having only one paycheck coming in was the kick in the rear I needed to follow it through. The best part about it was that it was SO easy! Not only that, it was by far the cheapest way to ensure I was giving her the best foods out there while saving a ton of cash. It only takes a couple of hours per week, and you're done.

Mr. C is the second child, and there are a LOT of things I've done differently (read: skimped on) this time around. One thing I've promised myself, though, is to stick with making his food just as I did with his big sister. The way this kid eats, there is no way we could afford the awesome organic food pouches. At five months old, he's already eating close to 18 ounces of solid food a day... it would be costing us close to $10/day! That's just way too much.

Materials

I know they sell fancy cookers/blenders in one, which may help cut down the time it takes, but seriously. Use your food processor. Or better yet, use a hand emulsion blender if you have one lying around. SO EASY. And no need to spend an extra $100-200 when you already have something handy in your kitchen!

I'm drinking Dunkin'. Helps me get through the day...
Other helpful things?

I bought silicone ice cube trays with one ounce squares. If you're Type A like me, they're perfect for measuring how much kiddo is taking in.

The nice part about these is that you don't have to be neat about it.
Just dump in the pureed food, then smooth it out in to all of the
squares until they're relatively full. Wipe with a paper towel and toss in the freezer!

I also picked up these Tupperware Midgets, which are two ounces, and can go in the freezer. Be sure to leave a little space at the top for expansion, but they're PERFECT for throwing into your purse in the morning so kiddo can have a nicely thawed snack come lunch time.

Mmmmm... Freshly baked squash. Such a pretty color!
Next time, I'll discuss the perfect first foods, and how to go about getting them to the right consistency for your little guy or girl to munch on.

Happy eating!

Until next time,

Mrs. Kuda

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs